When we think of protecting a computer from virus attacks, the first thing that comes into our mind is antivirus. Once an antivirus is installed in our system, we get full confidence that our system is secure and protected from malware. But the real fact is that antivirus is known to be the last line of defense. This is just a reflex of our ignorance, Most of us have a minimal level of the real knowledge in taking security measures against viruses and other hacker’s attack.
There are always other options that are there out in store to establish protection for your digital environment. It is our responsibility to know understand the protective measures apart from using antivirus software.
- Updating the Operating System
- Updating the Applications
- Enforcing minimal rights to the guest users
- Backing up all the Information
These are some of the other security measures that should be taken into consideration along with the installation of an antivirus software.
Updating the Operating System:
- Its good to know that you have bought a new computer, Once you open your new laptop check for any operating system updates. Outdated Operating System is always prone to suspicious malware, hence making he PC vulnerable.
- Certainly you would find that a full scale update is at your service to make sure that your PC is updated.
- Most of us use a pirated version, as it is cost effective. The bad story behind it is you will not get any proper updates on your pirated version of Operating System.
Updating the Applications:
- Apart from vulnerabilities caused by Operating System updates, Hackers move their attention on installed applications of the host computer.
- It might not take a long time to infect the PC, using an browsing information on an outdated Internet Explorer,
- Opening a PDF through an infected Adobe Reader application, These may lead to PC insecurity.
- To overcome all this, change your Internet Explorer Browser settings for automatic updates
- Keep a check on your application updates.
Enforcing minimal rights to the guest users:
When you can access anything from your Personal Computer, It cannot be the case for all those who wants to access your personal computer, Keep a check for the guest users. Assign minimal rights for guest users with separate login access and password. You can restrict certain activities like software installation, changing system settings.
In most of the cases, a home based PC automatic login is set by default. This is where the user must be careful by not letting the system to vulnerability.
Backing up all the Information:
Some set of PC problems like user mistake, malfunctioning of an authenticated software or hardware failure cannot be handled by using only an antivirus software. Memorable photos, business documents can get corrupted due to any of the unexpected PC malfunctions. This can be prevented by taking a backup of all the files, folders, documents, and important applications through online cloud storage.
Ethics to Protect PC:
- Use of the latest updated version of Operating System and Browser on your PC with robust defensive measures is important to combat any vulnerable threats.
- If you find a file sent to you is suspicious do not open the file attachment
- Some websites might try to trick you by organized ads temping you that you will a BMW or so, do download any such suspicious content on to your computer rather close the webpage.
- Check for viruses on any USB stick once you plug into your computer. Do not enable auto play capability on your USB device.
- Finally use a proper antivirus software along with firewall and other internet security products.
There are so many internet security and PC security products available to protect your PC, Choice is yours! Comodo Free Antivirus and its other security products is one of the best security products with world class features.